One of my favorite horn method books of all time is “RECIPE FOR SUCCESS” by Janet B. Nye and Karen Houghton from @houghtonhorns
. I wanted to share a little bit more about why I love this method book.
Recipe for Success takes students from buzzing the mouthpiece for the first time all the way to performing three octave scales and transcriptions from great orchestral literature - all of this in a highly methodical, yet engaging book.
Top 8 Things I love about “Recipe for Success”:
1. Emphasizes a balanced practice, with colorfully marked sections including Range and Flexibility, Tone, Technique, and Music
2. Helpful pictures of body posture, right hand position, and horn care for students to reference during their practice
3. THE BEST FINGERING CHART OUT THERE - clearly marked preferred F side and Bb side fingerings
4. Thoughtfully detailed visual illustrations for a variety of learners
5. Every major key is featured with corresponding musical excerpts
6. “Chef’s Notes” for teachers throughout the book with helpful considerations for instructors when guiding your students through the exercises
7. “New terms”, “practice tips”, and “history notes” throughout the pages, educating students on musical words, how to improve your practice sessions, and education on the horn’s history
8. An ENTIRE SECTION of duets!
I cannot speak highly enough about Recipe for Success! It is not only progressive and engaging for students, but is an incredible tool for beginning horn teachers on how to structure their lessons in an organized and thoughtful way.
I am not sponsored by Houghton Horns, I just love this book so much and want to share! Go to the link in my bio for where to find “Recipe for Success” 📯
#hornteacher #frenchhorn #horn #musicteacher #frenchhornteacher #brassplayer #brassteacher #frenchhornplayer #frenchhornstudent #hornishard #hornplayersofinstagram #frenchhornlessons #hornstudents #musicteachersofinstagram #brassplayer #musiciansofinstagram #musicianmemes #brassplayersofinstagramtrumpet #trombone #musiceducationmajor #musiceducation #trumpetplayers #tromboneplayers #mellophone #banddirector