Save that turkey! 🦃 You’re going to love it for this lemony shepherd’s pie, which is inspired by Greek avgolemono. @lecreuset
’s 3 1/2 qt. Classic Round Wide Oven is the perfect pot for it. Deep enough for stew but wide enough to get maximum mashed potato topping. Recipe 👇🏻
Lemony Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
3 shallots, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken or turkey broth
2 large eggs
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup orzo pasta
12 ounces leftover roast turkey breast, diced
½ cup frozen peas
¼ snipped dill, plus more for garnish
4 to 5 cups leftover mashed potatoes, warmed
1. In a shallow Dutch oven, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the leeks, shallots, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
2. In a medium bowl, vigorously beat the eggs with the lemon juice until frothy. Whisking constantly, gradually drizzle 1½ cups of the hot broth into the eggs to temper them, then gradually whisk the tempered eggs into the stew. Stir in the orzo and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is al dente and the stew is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir the turkey, peas, and the ¼ cup snipped dill into the stew. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is heated through, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
4. Spoon the warmed mashed potatoes into a piping bag fitted with a medium star tip. Decoratively pipe the potatoes onto the stew. Alternately, using a spoon, dollop the mashed potatoes evenly on the stew, then swirl decoratively.
5. Position the rack 6 inches from the heat source, then preheat the broiler. Broil the Shepherd’s pie for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mashed potatoes are lightly browned. Garnish with snipped chives and serve.
#casuallycolorful #lecreuset #shepherdspie #leftoverturkey #thanksgiving #thanksgivingleftovers